The South African Medical Research Council (SAMRC) strives to improve the nation's health status and quality of life through relevant and excellent health research aimed at promoting equity and development.
The SAMRC has the mandate to compile the South African Food Composition Database. Applications are currently being awaited for a dietician/nutritionist/food scientist to assist with the execution of the responsibilities of this activity within the South African Food Data System (SAFOODS) of the Biostatistics Unit at the SAMRC in Parow Valley, Cape Town. Please note that this position does not entail community/public health nutrition research, but focuses on the generation, evaluation and compilation of information on the nutrient composition of foods. A high aptitude for working with figures, especially figures related to food composition, is required and the position also includes a significant amount of administrative work related to food composition compilation activities.
- 4 year BSc degree in Dietetics/Nutrition or 3 year BSc Food Science and Nutrition qualification
- advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite is an essential requirement
- previous experience in food composition compilation will be a strong advantage; the use of food composition data in research projects, dietary analyses and/or product development is a requirement
- knowledge of food preparation methods
- accuracy with figures is essential
- working knowledge of the use of the South African (SA) Food Composition Tables and SA dietary analyses software programs is important
- ability to work alone as well as in a team
- good verbal and written communication skills recommended
- a systematic and organised disposition
- experience in chemical analysis of food will be a strong advantage
The main responsibility of this position is to assist with the compilation of the South African food composition database and the products thereof, i.e. the food composition tables and software programs. In addition to the compilation responsibilities, the incumbent will be required to handle administrative activities related to the food composition database. The incumbent will work under the supervision of the SAFOODS Manager and in close collaboration with the team responsible for the compilation of the South African Food Composition Database and its products.
In return, the MRC offers a total cost of employment remuneration package in the region of R304 000 per annum that includes organisation contribution towards fringe benefits.
Forward your application, comprising a full CV, a covering letter of motivation and contact details of three referees, to Mrs Janet Ndimande, Human Resources, SAMRC, P.O Box 19070, Tygerberg 7505 or fax 086 742 8365 or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 18 March 2016 (Late applications will not be considered).
PLEASE QUOTE THE REFERENCE NUMBER (R875A) IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS. CERTIFIED COPIES OF YOUR ID AND HIGHEST FORMAL QUALIFICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THIS APPLICATION. SHOULD YOUR APPLICATION NOT CONTAIN THE REQUIRED INFORMATION AND DOCUMENTS, IT WILL UNFORTUNATELY NOT BE CONSIDERED.
The SAMRC retains the right not to make an appointment.
In accordance with the SAMRC's Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to suitably qualified candidates from the designated groups. For this reason, we require race, gender and disability status to be specified. Disabled persons are encouraged to apply.